PRE-COLLEGE COMPETITION May 15-16, 2020
Application fee is $35. Deadline is May 1, 2020.
Stephens Performing Arts Center
Idaho State University Fine Arts Building
Idaho piano students in grades 1-12, age 6-18
Friday, May 15 12:00 - 8:00 pm
Saturday, May 16 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday, May 16
3:00 pm (Primary, Elementary, Intermediate 1)
6:30 pm (Intermediate 2, Advanced 1, Advanced 2)
· Contestants play two memorized solo pieces.
· Maximum Preliminary Audition time allowances : Primary-Intermediate 2: ten minutes
Advanced 1 & 2: fifteen minutes.
· Repeats in the music may be omitted.
· Composers from any of the major historical eras may be represented. Students should program the types of pieces they play best, even if they are from the same historical era.
· Only copyrighted, published music may be performed.
· Any movement of a sonata, sonatina or suite can count as one piece.
· Final decisions regarding Levels will be at the discretion of the Directors, in order to give contestants their best advantage. A list of representative repertoire for each Level from past competitions is available here.
· Memorization is required in all phases of the competition.
· An original copy of the music must be provided for the adjudicator. Teacher’s markings in the music need not be erased. Students and teachers need not be members of any local or national organization to qualify, but students and/or teachers must be residents of the state of Idaho.
· Each Finalist will perform one memorized piece, in an open concert setting at Jensen Grand Concert Hall.
· Adjudicators will choose the Competition Finals piece after hearing the Preliminary Audition.
· A piece longer than 8 minutes may be subject to abridgement for the Competition Finals.
· A student who won first place in any Level in a previous year must compete in the next Level this year. First Place winner in Advanced 2 in 2019 must wait until 2021 to compete again.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (208)251-8051